British Values / SMSC
The Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) development of our students has always been at the heart of the education we provide. The academy’s approach to SMSC is embedded in the ‘The Vale Way’ and our ethos of mutual respect, partnership working and collaboration; an approach that we believe is fundamental to a full and positive participation in life in modern Britain.
Examples of how fundamental British Values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs are actively promoted across the academy include:
- Weekly year group assemblies led by academy leaders or guest speakers
- Student Voice activities
- Student Leadership Team and North Lincolnshire Youth Council.
- Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education (PSHCE) lessons
- Religious Education and PSHCE topics such as ‘British Values’
- Healthy schools’ initiatives
- Cross curricular initiatives
- After school clubs and enrichment activities
- Charity work
- Sporting events
- Links with the wider community including ‘Plastic Free Friday’
- Commitment and achievement of Our Core Values
- Educational trips and visits and other opportunities for learning outside the classroom.