Careers Education Information and Guidance helps young people to develop the knowledge, confidence and skills that they need to make well-informed, thought- through choices and plans that enable them to progress smoothly into further learning and work, now and in the future. As an academy we ensure that high quality information and guidance enables our students to make the best of their talents and achieve their ambitions by choosing the pathway that is right for them.
The Vale Academy aims to ensure that information about learning options and careers is presented impartially and that advice promotes the best interests of students. We aim to ensure that our programmes:
- Empower young people to plan and manage their own futures
- Respond to the needs of each learner
- Provide comprehensive information and advice
- Raises aspirations
- Actively promotes equality of opportunity and challenges stereotypes
- Helps young people to progress
The careers curriculum has been devised following the guidance of the ACEG National Framework for all year groups in core provision and/or drop-down days. This is supplemented by the following:
- There is a programme of assemblies, enrichment workshops and external visits.
- Careers modules are included in the PSHCE curriculum.
- Inset for staff includes training and updates on careers information by qualified careers professionals.
- On drop-down days a wide variety of companies and apprenticeship providers may also attend offering advice and guidance.
- The Vale Academy also organises specific events for parents/carers and students to provide specialist support.
The academy has worked in close partnership with our independent careers advisors, Careers Inc. The academy has also achieved the Prospect Quality award for Careers, Information and Guidance.