Our curriculum is carefully constructed, offering a wide range of subjects to all learners. We aim to develop all students as independent learners who are able to make informed decisions and choices about the next phases of their learning. Our destination data 2019 demonstrates that our curriculum is meeting students’ needs with 73% of Y11 students progressing to L3 courses, 20% progressing to L2 courses, 3% progressing to L1 courses and 3% progressing to employment/training. We have no NEETs. Similarly at Y13 60% of students have taken up places at university with 8% studying for higher apprenticeships and 32% moving into employment and training.
Our Key Stage 3 curriculum is followed by Years 7 and 8 and is currently being reviewed to include Year 9 from September 2020.
During Key Stage 3, all students study the same suite of subjects as required by the National Curriculum. In addition, Computing is studied as a discrete subject because we recognise the importance of digital literacy as a key skill in modern society.
Years 7 & 8
- Students are taught in ability sets for English, maths and science.
- Students are taught in banded mixed-ability groups for the non-core subjects.
- Design & Technology continues to be taught in smaller, mixed ability groups.
Key Stage 4
- During KS4 (currently Years 9, 10 & 11, although we are moving towards a two-year programme), all students follow a broad and balanced curriculum, as follows:
- All students follow a basic core of English, Maths and Science.
- All students then choose a subject in each of three option blocks.
- All students are required to select the minimum of one Ebacc subject within their option choices.
- Students are guided in their option choices to ensure that their curriculum meets their individual needs.
- Students also study either Creative iMedia or separate sciences to further develop digital literacy or enable those students with a keen interest in science to deepen their knowledge and understanding.
- Core PE is followed as a non-examined subject, although GCSE and BTEC PE are also available in the option choices.