Subject Template - History
Mrs L. Greaves
Mr C. Watson
Miss M. Harrison
KS3 (Year 7, 8 and 9)
See ‘History KS3 Overview 2018-2020 Cohort (Current Year 8 only) Curriculum Mapping - Scheme of Work’ and ‘History KS3 Overview 2019-2021 Cohort (Current Year 7 and onwards) Curriculum Mapping - Scheme of Work’ for full detail of the KS3 course.
KS4 (Years 10 and 11) Exam Board and Course
Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History
GCSE Course Breakdown
Paper 1: Thematic Study
Medicine in Britain, c1250-present & the British sector of the Western Front, 1914-18: injuries, treatment and the trenches
· 1h 15 written exam
· 52 marks
· 30% of GCSE qualification
· Section A: historic environment
Students answer a question that assesses knowledge plus a two-part question based on two provided sources.
· Section B: thematic study
Students answer three questions that assess their knowledge and understanding. The first two questions are compulsory. For the third question, students answer one from a choice of two.
Paper 2: British Depth Study, Anglo-Saxon and Norman England 1060-88 and Period Study, The American West 1835-1895
· 1h 45 written exam
· 64 marks
· 40% of GCSE qualification
· Section A: Period study
Students answer three questions that assess their knowledge and understanding. The first two questions are compulsory. For the third question, students select two out of three parts.
· Section B: British depth study
Students answer a single three-part question that assesses their knowledge and understanding. The first two parts are compulsory. For the third part, students select one from a choice of two.
Paper 3: Modern Depth Study
Weimar and Nazi Germany 1918-1939
· 1h 20 written exam
· 52 marks
· 30% of GCSE qualification
· Section A
Students answer a question based on a provided source and a question that assesses their knowledge and understanding.
· Section B
Students answer a single four-part question, based on two provided sources and two provided interpretations.
See ‘History KS4 GCSE Curriculum Mapping - Scheme of Work’ document for more detail.
· History revision guides and workbooks supplied by the department.
· Intervention for Year 11 students takes place on a Wednesday 3:30-4:30 and Thursday lunchtime in HUM6.
· CGP Edexcel GCSE History, The Topic Guide - 4 revision available, one for each topic (Medicine in Britain c1250-Present, Anglo-Saxon and Norman England, The American West, Weimar and Nazi Germany). Available on Parentpay for £2.75 each or on the CGP website for £5.95.
· Pearson Edexcel GCSE (9-1) History Target Grade 5 or 9 work books available for each topic on the Pearson website.
· GCSP Pod contains videos for all of the topics covered at GCSE. All students in Year 9-11 have a login.
· origin.qualifications.pearson.com/ en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/ history-2016.html
Students at the Vale Academy benefit from History enrichment trips in Britain and abroad. For example, KS4 students participated in the moving WW1 Battlefields Trip, which is now an annual trip. Year 7 students have the opportunity to experience life in the Middle Ages with a visit to Conisbrough castle.
A range of lunchtime and after school intervention/revision sessions are made available. The faculty runs a KS3 ‘Humanities’ Club. It involves lots of fun activities and gives students the opportunity to study Humanities topics that are of interest to them but are not taught in class.
OCR A Level History A
Y223 A: The Cold War in Europe 1941-1995
· 1h written exam
· 15% of A Level qualification
Y110 A: From Pitt to Peel 1783-1853
· 1h 30 written exam
· 25% of A Level qualification
Y316 A: Britain and Ireland 1791-1921
· 2h 30 written exam
· 40% of A Level qualification
Y100 A: Coursework
· 3000-4000 word essays
· Any topic of choice
· 20% of A Level qualification
See ‘A level History Overview’ document for more detail.
Number of Lessons Per Week
KS3: 2 hours
KS4: 3 hours
KS5: 4 hours